I was honored to be a speaker at the Non-Profit Formation, Taxation and Grant-Writing seminar last week which was sponsored by the Puget Sound Chapter of the Washington Association of Accountants.
I promised the attendees that I would post my presentation materials and links to source materials that I used during my presentation which are as follows:
2. Washington Nonprofit Handbook published by the Washington Attorneys Assisting Community Organizations and the King County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division.
3. IRS Publication 557 is critical to any non-profit organization (both in formation and existing non-profits).
4. The IRS also publishes a plain English guide to forming a 501(c)(3).
5. The IRS has quite a bit of information for non-profits at their non-profit page which I also recommend for review.
7. For those of you who prefer videos instead of reading books and articles, the IRS offers a series of online videos to help getting started with a 501(c)(3).
8. Lin, Albert, “Public Charities, Private Foundations and Supporting Organizations for the Non-Exempt Organizations”, Texas Tax Lawyer, May 2009
9. Richardson, Virginia G and Reilly, John Francis, “Public Charity or Private Foundation Status: Issues under IRC 509(a)(1) – (4), 4942(j)(3), and 507“.
I hope that you find this information useful. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about these materials or about non-profit organizations in general.