Registering Your Business in Washington

One common question that I often receive from clients and prospective clients in Washington is when (or whether) they need to register with the State of Washington and pay taxes.  There are a number of criteria that would require a registration (including if you are working in Washington as an independent contractor).

You must register with the Department of Revenue if you meet any of the following conditions:

  • Your business is required to collect sales tax.
  • Your gross income is $12,000 per year or more.
  • Your business is required to pay taxes or fees to the Department of Revenue.
  • You are a buyer or processor of specialty wood products.

For more information, see the Washington State Department of Revenue.